2 min read ·
North Hills Kids Virtual & At-Home Activities
Now, more than ever, it is important to keep our children engaged and stimulated as we all work through this period of uncertainty. North Hills Kids, presented by Wells Orthodontics, is here to help! We’ll be releasing weekly blog posts with ways your children can still benefit from programming, even if it is virtual! When we all work to #stayhome, we can move closer toward gathering outside together very soon!
With the beautiful weather in the Triangle this week, we bring you fun outdoor activities you and your children can do at home!
Sidewalk Chalk Activities
Letter Recognition with Chalk
- Draw all the letters of the alphabet and then hand out stones or pinecones to serve as “markers”
- Call out letters and have your children place their marker on the corresponding letter
- Have your children spell out their name or give them specific words to spell
Sidewalk “Twister” Game
- Help your child learn their left from their right with a DIY game of Twister!
- “Susie, red circle, right foot”
Measure out different lengths to see who can jump the farthest!
- Make a start point and work your way around the driveway (or sidewalk) by drawing different activities!
- Turning Around
- Jumping on 1 foot
- Going backwards
- Spell your name
Tin Can Fun
Who knew those used tin cans could become great outdoor fun for your kids? Click HERE to find 5 ways to recycle your tin cans for your children.
Nature Scavenger Hunt
Grab a pencil or pen, magnifying glass, binoculars, and this printable Nature Scavenger Hunt Sheet and head outside to try and check all the boxes! After exploring the great outdoors, discuss what you found and what else you may have seen on the hunt!
Pine Cone Bird Feeders
What You’ll Need:
- Pine Cone
- String for Hanging
- Bird Feed
- Peanut Butter (Lard for substitute)
- Tie string to the top of the pine cone
- Spread peanut butter all over the pine cone
- Roll peanut butter covered cone in bird seed
- Hang outside & enjoy!
Check out this list of other fun activities you can enjoy outside!
- Play in the sprinkler
- Plant a garden
- Paint rocks with watercolor
- Wash a car
- Have a backyard picnic
- Build a fort
- Turn your backyard into the ultimate obstacle course
- Star gaze, or look for shapes in clouds
Extra Weekly Activity
Each week, we will be ending with our top pick for an activity or idea to help keep you and your family going during this time. This week, we feature Popsicle’s “Virtual Recess” that goes live every week on their Instagram page!
North Hills Kids is presented by: