About April 29 is Independent Bookstore Day at Quail Ridge Books
What’s Independent Bookstore Day? It’s a nation-wide indie bookstore version of Mardi Gras. Every indie is different, and so are their IBD celebrations. We hope you visit some of the other wonderful indie bookstores in our region, but we have so much planned today, you may just want to camp out with us. In addition to the programs below, there are exclusive books and literary items that you can only get starting this day. Not before. Not after. Not online. They’re limited edition items and only available in-store. So enjoy the rundown of activities – we have our author and costume characters also listed separately on our calendar. And keep checking for added activities!
Starting at 9 am:
- Exclusive IBD items available; only in-store. Each customer is limited to one of each item in a single transaction (ex. if you say ‘give me one of everything’, it’s fine). But customers must get back in line to purchase more of any item.
- A coloring station set up for children and adults
- An “Express Yourself” wall: a wall of paper will cover our front window where everyone can write and draw about their favorite books, authors, and independent bookstores.
- The Typewriter Project is right outside our store. Add your own brief literary voice to the ‘subconscious of the city’.
- Prizes for those who bring in their IBOP*NC field guides. Prizes vary depending on the number of stores you’ve visited. Details and locations are in the field guide.
And here’s a special offer from our audiobook parnter, Libro.fm: Come in for free audiobooks!
Libro.fm, which helps independent bookstores sell digital audiobooks, is celebrating Independent Bookstore Day on April 29 by offering a digital audiobook giveaway. Visitors to participating stores will have the opportunity to download five complimentary digital audiobooks, including The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck and David Foster Wallace’s A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again. You can find a complete list here of the audiobooks that will be available for free download. Libro.fm is a partner of the American Booksellers Association and works with independent bookstores to create co-branded audiobook storefronts.
Starting at 9:50 am:
- A drawing every hour for totes filled with Advance Reading Copies (bags for adults, teens, and children). Drawings will be at ten minutes to the hour, up to 7:50 pm.
Starting at 10 am:
- Storytime with our special guests, Elephant and Piggie (costume characters)
At 11 am:
- NC picture book author Camille Andros shares her debut, Charlotte the Scientist is Squished; for ages 4+
From 11:30 am-12:30 pm:
- Two therapy ponies join us, dressed as their favorite literary characters. Perhaps you remember “Harry Trotter” from our Deathly Hallows‘ Harry Potter party? They join us courtesy of Stampede of Love, a Raleigh non-profit organization dedicated to spreading knowledge about therapy animals.
At 1 pm:
- Happy 75th Anniversary, Golden Books! In their honor, it’s the first of two separate “Make Your Own Little Golden Book” activity times today. Each is limited to 25 children. Free, but you must pre-register. Call our store (919-828-1588).
From 1 – 3 pm:
Are you ready to discover your new favorite book? Ask the experts! The Quail Ridge Books Teen Advisory Board will be sharing their recommendations for the latest and greatest young adult titles. Visit their table to create a wish list, choose your next read, or find the perfect gift for the teen in your life.
TAB is also working to promote YA and literacy in the Triangle! Consider participating in their spring book drive by donating new and gently used books for teens. Donations will be given to Book Harvest, a nonprofit organization in Durham that provides books to local children in need. Bring these donations to QRB any time on April 29.
At 3 pm:
NC author Anne Barnhill shares her new book, a contemporary novel set on the NC coast. Find out what secrets are hidden in The Beautician’s Notebook.
At 4 pm:
- Happy 75th Anniversary, Golden Books! It’s time for the second of our two “Make Your Own Little Golden Book” activity times. The activity is limited to 25 children. Free, but you must pre-register. Call our store (919-828-1588).
At 6:30 & 7:45 pm:
- The adults get to play and show their knowledge at our Literary Trivia night. Our emcee, James Mitchener, will keep things lively – you might remember him as the Potions Master at our last Harry Potter party. To register teams of up to four people, email email@example.com and put “Trivia” in the subject line. We’ll keep you posted on more details as they develop.